Self-driven nursing professional equipped with clinical and managerial expertise leading in and outpatient care.
- Successful leader with hands-on approach upholding global view for long-term success.
- Exceptional knowledge of accreditation standards while maintaining performance improvement initiatives. productivity, achieve goals, and provide quality health care.
- Utilizes exceptional interpersonal skills in communicating with physicians, staff, and patients.
- Strategically views issues and solves problems with task-oriented perspective on outcomes resolution.
Health Bridge Children’s Hospital, Houston, Texas 2010 – Present
40-bed pediatric hospital specializing in sub-acute and transitional care of patients 0-21 years old.
Director of Clinical Services
Direct oversight of all clinical services including nursing, pharmacy, staff education, respiratory therapy, rehabilitation, laboratory, dietary, materials management, medical records, child life, and housekeeping. Provide leadership and direction to over 100 employees. Collaborate with CEO and Director of Quality to ensure smooth day-to-day operations and achievement of clinical standards. Participate in various performance improvement initiatives including program initiation, redesigning of departments, and restructuring clinical management team. Coordinate safe discharge planning with case management and social worker. Encourage patient/customer satisfaction by interacting with families on daily rounds. Team with department managers to identify project improvement initiatives and report outcomes to senior executives and quality management.
Work with materials manager to establish/maintain PAR level accuracy and maintenance within vendor GPO. Oversee medical records for documentation standards and up-to-date credentialing processes. Supervise dietary services observing appropriate dietary needs of patients. Consult with rehabilitation and respiratory services confirming modalities are implemented for optimal patient outcomes. Administer child life activities and approve all interventions. Participate in weekly team conference for interdisciplinary master treatment planning. Participate in marketing initiatives for perspective new patients and providers. Ensure regulatory compliance within JCAHO standards, HIPPA, State Board of Pharmacy, CLIA, and Health Department.
- Restructured hospital services, staffing, and management to successfully improve productivity, communications, and accuracy of operations without incurring additional expenses.
- Initiated program development collaborating with senior leadership and marketing to create advertisements and refine program development.
- Assisted with the development of employee recognition/retention and manager expectations programs.
- Assisted with creation of PAR leveling system within system and materials management.
- Improved charge capture by redesigning daily charge sheets and identifying opportunities for revenue not previously charged, which included development of treatment room for procedures.
- Implemented tamper resistant labeling on multi-dose vials and new labeling identification of medications to ensure patient safety and minimize medical errors.
- Maintained and monitored safety standards for clinical dashboard.
Harris County Hospital District, Houston, Texas 2009 – 2010
66,000 square feet outpatient multispecialty ambulatory care clinic serving patients within Harris County Hospital District ,while providing medical home model for diverse population of uninsured and insured patients.
Nurse Manager – El Franco Lee Health Center (Alief)
Managed facility, staff of 50+ employees, daily operations, and oversight of clinic. Ensured quality indicators maintained for JCAHO standards and patient satisfaction. Performed routine rounds within clinic to monitor prompt, quality delivery of patient care. Maintained safety and compliance standards. Oversaw VFC program. Worked as staff nurse and vaccine nurse when needed. Served on nurse practice council.
- Played instrumental role in opening of El Franco Lee Health Center by hiring all nursing staff for facility and meeting target date.
- Recruited and retained 100% of nursing staff up to 1st anniversary of facility.
- Expanded volume and patient services within 1st year requiring additional providers in adult medicine.
- Opened sterile processing area to meet needs and turnaround time for instruments in OB-GYN and Podiatry departments.
- Staged equipment, furniture, and supplies for clinic, providing direction for additional equipment purchases.
- Identified potential cost savings to maintain adequate PAR leveling.
- Streamlined efficiency and productivity of services and time management with staff.
Kelsey-Seybold Clinic, Houston, Texas 1994 – 2009
Houston’s largest multispecialty outpatient ambulatory care service employing over 300 physician and contract providers with 13 clinics in Houston and surrounding area, including one ambulatory surgery center.
Clinic Quality Manager – ASC/Manager of the OR (2001 – 2009)
Oversaw outpatient surgery center. Directed management of operating room staff, scheduling, and materials management. Supervised daily operations of 5 operating rooms and 2 procedure rooms. Implemented block scheduling, guaranteeing successful time management and flow of cases. Provided quality oversight for providers and center. Staffed according to volume and specialty of procedures. Managed housekeeping services. Guaranteed compliance with state regulations and TDSHS standards. Prepared facility/staff for all internal quality standard surveys. Charged with hiring and retention of staff, identifying opportunities for staffeducation, and implementing staff in-services/education. Built rapport and developed relationships with vendors. Maintained privileging of all providers and contract staff within ASC. Followed PDSA model for quality improvement initiatives. Participated in various clinic/department committees.
- Achieved 7 years of successful surveys from JCAHO, AAAHC, CLIA, and State Board of Pharmacy.
- Preserved all surgical quality indicators at or above benchmarks.
- Completed bi-annual internal environmental surveys from Quality Department with maintenance of 90% or greater for 7 years.
- Upheld 100% compliance with privileging process within facility.
- Sustained staff retention at or above bench marking for 7 years.
- Performed successful bi-annual inventory while staying within target budgeted. Instituted cost containment initiatives with regular product evaluation and staying within GPO contracting.
- Established and maintained rapport with physicians, and re-instituted on-line preference cards for physician preference and satisfaction.
Manager of Health Services/Case Management & Social Work (1999 – 2001)
Managed case manager/social work staff of 15 employees providing leadership and direction for case management at in and out patient levels. Oversaw all disease state management and clinical programs including CHF, asthma, renal, diabetes, oncology, geriatrics, synagis administration, and monitoring of high risk OB in a managed care environment. Worked closely with utilization management guaranteeing Interqual criteria were met for hospitalized patients. Evaluated length of stays for hospitalized patients.
Administered weekly staff meetings with Medical Director for Managed Care to review cases and identify potential changes in levels of care. Received referrals from within clinic to manage outpatients ensuring quality care and preventing unnecessary hospitalizations. Provided monthly productivity reporting to Director and Medical Director with bed-day savings accountability and case management interventions. Developed and implemented policies and procedures. Served on numerous clinic committees. Participated in clinic wide preparation for AAAHC surveys. Contributed to support group activities for chronicaly ill patients.
- Optimized bed-day savings and length of stay with hospitalizations.
- Pioneered asthma program for Pediatric patients.
Pediatric Case Manager (1994 – 1999)
Served as advocate for children and adolescents with special needs acting as liaison between patient/family and center. Rounded with physicians and provided discharge-planning services.
- Contributed to development and implementation of 1st Pediatric Hospitalist Program at Kelsey-Seybold.
- Created published Pediatric Asthma brochure utilized for Pediatric Disease State Management program.
Master of Nursing, Practitioner in Neonatology
University of Texas Health Science Center, Houston, Texas
Bachelor of Science in Nursing
University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas