Staff accountants work for a variety of establishments and organizations. Their services encompass different sectors and industries, from manufacturing facilities to five-star restaurants. Daily tasks of an accountant include the accurate preparation of accounting-related entries to various records and logs, which are usually a mix of both hardware and software. They are also trained to follow company-specified accounting procedures and policies to ensure consistent quality output. As a staff accountant, you’ll also be providing support for accounts payables to guarantee timely and accurate production and recording of invoices and oversee monthly bank settlements. With the sensitive and pivotal nature of tasks they handle, accountants are required to provide in-depth analyses and details of all financial transactions. If the company they work for is to be audited, staff accountants are usually the frontliners who work with the external auditor by preparing documentation and assisting with the audit process however they can.
Most employers only consider aspiring accountants with a bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or a related study. Other employers further require one to two years of work experience in accounting or a related industry. The latter is a common requirement for bigger and more prestigious firms and organizations since they usually have less time to train you from the ground up. In addition to work experience, you can improve your marketability as a staff accountant by pursuing advanced certification. For instance, you can secure a CPA, Certified Public Accountant, title. As for skills, an accountant is expected to have at least basic understanding and command of Microsoft Word, Excel, and other similar software. You must also have strong written and verbal communication skills to ensure precise and timely results. You’ll also need to be able to manage multiple tasks simultaneously and scan through different types of technical forms and financial statements without getting overwhelmed of the data.
The employment outlook for staff accountants and auditors is expected to grow by 11 percent between 2014 to 2024. This is slightly faster than the median growth rate for all other occupations. The employment growth for staff accountants and auditors is projected to move in accordance with the health of the country’s economy. Growth in the economy in the next several years will fuel more demand for preparation, analysis, recording, and management of financial records and bank statements as more companies and individuals spend and earn money.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average salary for accountants and auditors in 2015 was $67,200, or an hourly rate of $32.30. This is in line with the average salaries of related job positions including budget analysts who took home roughly $72,000, financial analysts who took home $80,000, and financial managers who were able to earn roughly $117,000. Your specific salary will depend on a few key factors including related work experience and the company you are working for. Naturally, larger companies pay better salaries and work perks. Of course, this also usually entails a heavier workload all yearlong.
Staff Accountant Resume Example
Center for Medical Genetics, Houston, TX 01/10 – 08/11
- Respond to maintain chart of accounts, G/L account reconciliation and analysis of trial balances for all entities of CMG with monthly-end and year-end closes.
- Assists the CFO in developing annual budget and leads the preparation of departmental budgets.
- Maintain and analyze budgets, prepare monthly budget vs. actual reports.
- Analyze financial results and provide variance memos/schedules and account reconciliations to ensure consistent internal control apply over all entities and financial reports.
- Prepare and oversee journal entries including recurring entries and allocations such as prepare month-end accruals, pre-paid adjustments, and unrecorded liabilities; maintain fixed assets sub-ledger including reconciliation to general ledger; maintain inter-company accounting, consolidation & elimination entries.
- Respond for comprehensive reconciliation on numerous P&L accounts and cash, A/R, key balance sheet accounts, working directly with support groups to clear reconciling items.
- Prepare consolidated monthly financial statements for parent company under a strict deadline schedule; calculate and analyze parent company’s profitability and liquidity ratios, maintain and create monthly graphics of financial analysis.
- Respond for monthly commissions’ computation, supervise the benefits/payroll accounting process and associated analysis.
- Research accounting issues and procedures with emphasis on best-practices, correct any job mischarges during the month.
- Participate in training and cross-training with accounting staff as needed. Serve as a role model for the department.
- Create and implement new payroll data input template to increase efficiency with monthly payroll preparation and reconciliation.
- Creation of numerous spreadsheet reports used to track revenue projections, P&L of each satellite clinic, commission payments, and numerous financial analysis tools.
Advance Polybag Inc, Houston, TX 09/08 – 01/10
- Tracked and analyzed daily/monthly raw material, finished goods, work in process and material in transit entries for assigned cost center and entity, took a proactive approach to identify operating results of usage variances; daily/monthly reconciliation of inventory for quantities and amounts with multiple locations; analyzed direct and indirect cost accounts; communicated findings and coordinated corrections in a timely and effective manner.
- Assigned accounting code and budget classification on purchasing documents, oversaw all A/R and A/P duties; prepared project accrual worksheet, post adequately accrued entries, reclassification entries and adjustment entries to general ledger.
- Responded for all sales commission distributions.
- Analyzed income statement and balance sheet accounts, included month-end and year-end GL duties; reconciled and reviewed inter-company balance and corrected out-of- balance situations, adhered to the month end close checklist to ensure all month end procedures are fully completed under the strict deadline schedule and to document such review on the checklist.
- Assist with the activities of internal and external auditors by provided complete supported documentations, reports and explanations.
Houston Municipal Employees Pension System, Houston, TX 01/07 – 09/08
Accounting Assistant II
- Monitored cash and funds flow, bank reconciliations, included review and reconciliation of 24 investment managers’ statement, ACH payments and balance sheet accounts monthly, maintained fixed assets and created fixed assets depreciation schedules.
- Coordinated the annual budgeting process, maintained general ledger, detailed working papers and special reposts.
- Collaborated and effectively analyzed internal controls and perform comprehensive audited and approved with various retirement application files.
- Assisted the pension system was updated and linked correctly with pension payment process.
- Prepared and filed governmental report to Texas Pension Board quarterly and prepared governmental comprehensive annual financial reports.
OE Source, Houston, TX 01/03 – 12/06
- Part-time position responsible for all financial aspects of the company, including administered A/P, A/R, payroll, bank reconciliations, maintained the general ledger and entered journal transactions, prepared financial statements, taxes and monthly reporting.
HUI’S International, Inc, Charleston, SC 10/95 – 12/00
- Handled a full range of general accounting duties from A/P, A/R, and payroll, provided regular analysis of accounting issues and transactions. Bank reconciliations, monthly/year-end inventory reconciliation. Posted monthly general entries, prepared month-end supporting schedules including amortization of all prepaid assets and depreciation of fixed assets.
- Prepared for monthly income statement and balance sheet. Managed relationship with various vendor, suppliers and customers. Handled customer inquiries. Processed sales commission payroll analysis.
University of Houston Clear Lake, Houston, TX
Master of Science in Accounting (GPA: 3.44)
University of Texas, Austin, TX
Bachelor of Accounting