Accountants are individuals who examine and prepare financial records. They work to ensure that these records are accurate. They also make sure that taxes are prepared correctly and by the deadline. There are several types of accounting, including public accounting. Individuals who are hired as public accountants may complete some or all of the following services:
- Analysis and preparation of financial statements and accounting records
- Auditing of reports and financial records for conformity and accuracy to outlined standards
- Tax return preparation
- Payment compliance monitoring
- Analysis of business operations (revenue, costs, etc.)
- Development of estate plans
The majority of employers require job candidates to hold a bachelor’s degree. The degree should be in accounting or a relevant field. Some states require students to complete advanced coursework beyond the scope of the bachelor’s degree. This coursework will typically involve the mastery of material on subjects like auditing, taxes, financial reporting, and several other business areas. In many cases, the student must accumulate 150 credit hours in these areas and accounting to successfully complete their requirements.
Individuals who attain certification in a specific accounting sector will become more marketable job candidates. One option available to aspiring accountants is becoming a Certified Public Accountant (CPA). In many cases, individuals who become CPAs will go on to attain a master’s degree. Always confirm that an educational program is accredited before you enroll.
Employment for accountants is expected to grow at a rate of 11% between the years of 2014 and 2024. This is faster than the national average for all vocations. The growth of job opportunities in this field is linked to the health of the general economy. Specifically, the growth of the economy will entail the need for more workers who can examine and prepare financial records.
The average annual salary for an accountant was $67,190 for May of 2015. The lowest 10% generated $41,400 while the highest-ranking 10% brought home over $118,930. However, it’s important to remember that several factors can impact how much an accountant brings home each year. Some of the factors that can influence job earnings include education level, certification, experience within the field, and the employer.
Another factor that can impact an accountant’s earnings is the industry in which she or he works. For example, an individual who works within the finance and insurance sector will bring home an average annual salary of $71,760. On the other hand, accountants who work for the government will generate yearly earnings of about $65,180.
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics: Accountants and Auditors
- Learn How To Become: How to Become an Accountant
- AccountingEdu.org: How to Become an Accountant
Accountant Resume Example
Telesis Community Credit Union Chatsworth, CA (June 2012 to June 2016)
- Performed complex general accounting functions, including preparation of journal entries, account analysis and balance sheet reconciliations.
- Reviewed accountants book entries to ensure accuracy of the G/L.
- Updated investment records upon funding of investments.
- Addressed and resolved non-routine, complex and unexpected variances.
- Worked with management to document and offset unusual expense variances in their respective areas.
- Collected and reported monthly expense variances and explanations.
- Prepared financial and regulatory reports required by laws, regulations or boards of directors.
- Executed general ledger accounts reporting enhancements and reconciliation procedures.
- Received, recorded, and banked cash, checks, and vouchers as well as reconciled records of bank transactions.
M-S Cash Drawer Corporation, Pasadena, CA (December 2007 to September 2011)
- Managed inventory control through purchase order receiving and product sold invoices.
- Produced the monthly and quarterly sales tax reports.
- Performed analysis of income and balance sheet statements to perform month end closing entries.
- Managed accounting operations, accounting close, account reporting and reconciliations.
- Prepared accurate financial statements at end of the quarter.
- Reviewed collection reports to determine the status of collections and the amounts of outstanding balances.
- Maintained fixed asset module and calculate and record monthly depreciation expense.
- Assisted the CFO with the production of the monthly financial, management reports and board packages.
Take Solutions, Inc, Pasadena, CA (May 2004 – January 2007)
- Responsible for all accounting functions (billing, accounts receivable, accounts payable, payroll, general ledger, fixed assets, etc.) for local office
- Assist with benefit administration, including 401K, and other HR support
- Maintain customer contracts and setup related Projects for time and expense tracking and subsequent billing
- Forecast and manage cash flow on a regular basis
- Assist with quarterly internal audits and annual audit
- Assisted with conversion of payroll system from Paychex to ADP, for local office and corporate office
Thales Computers, Inc, Pasadena, CA (August 1999 – October 2003)
- Directed daily accounting functions (A/R, A/P, G/L, payroll, purchasing, inventory) and provided HR and ethics support
- Issued internal and external financial reports and other management reports and analysis as required
- Performed monthly, quarterly, and annual consolidation activities with French parent company and other Thales companies
- Forecasted and managed cash flow on a regular basis
- Assisted in “due diligence” activities related to Thales’ purchase of Matrix Corporation and the subsequent merger of Cetia and Matrix Corporation
- Assisted in the “spin off” of Matrix’s manufacturing group to form its own separate company
- Maintained working relationship with former manufacturing group and other manufacturing subcontractors
- Coordinated and performed year end activities and annual audit with internal and external auditors
- Maintained inter-company and outside relationships with bankers, auditors, and insurance companies, etc.
- Evaluated and implemented a manufacturing ERP system
- Prepared information for, and testified in successful lawsuit against former customer
- Assisted in ISO certification process
North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC – B.A. in Accounting